LAD operates in Cambridgeshire. 'Face to face'
advice is available in St Neots via drop-in and in Huntingdon by
appointment. Our phone and email service covers the whole county. See
for full details.
LAD knows about debt. Some of the team have been there
themselves. They came out the other side. So can you!
Catch up with what we are doing via our Facebook page
Debt Management workshops for community groups
LAD offers two separate workshops aimed at two specific groups.
Workshop 1 - for young adults moving on from hostel housing into their first unsupported housing.
Approx 2 hours in length, it would be a combination of group work, tutor led, and pairs etc, with handouts and flyers.
- Introduction/Aims Objectives/Health and safety issues/icebreaker.
- What is debt? – Different forms that debt can take, how we get into debt, cause and effect.
- Payday Loans/Credit cards – good or bad, what if I run out of money one month, will they help?
- Best way to pay bills – Card meter vs. Direct Debit, gas, electric, etc. Also what bills should I expect to pay/budget for?
- Living on a budget – recognising cost, where/how to shop, running my first home. This would be a light hearted section, where they would be given 40 LAD pounds to spend on a selection of items ranging from luxury goods, to basic goods, cannabis, gas/electric meter, etc. (cannabis is included as it is very likely that a section of young people indulge in this recreationally and at approx £10 a bag, if they wish to carry on using, then they need to be aware that something else will suffer. This in no way endorses the use of drugs).
- What to do and where to go if I do get into debt?
- Credit Unions
- Stop Loan Sharks
Workshop 2 - aimed at Adults or families who are facing debt crisis, or would like advice on how to stay out of debt.
Will be a combination of Tutor led, group work, pairs etc, with handouts and flyers.
- Introduction/Aims and Objectives/Health and safety issues/Icebreaker.
- Debt Problems/Issues – why is there so much debt around today? A brief history on welfare reform/Debt and the rise of lending since 1945.
- Types of Debt – What types of debt are there, credit cards, loans, mortgages, rent arrears, etc.
- The Impact of debt on day to day life, who suffers, what can I do about it?
- Living on a budget – how to shop effectively and the best way of finding bargains, shopping around, etc.
- How do I get out of debt if I can’t afford to pay it back/where do I turn?
- Type of help DMP/IVA/Bankruptcy etc.
- Introduction to Credit Unions.
- Stop Loan Sharks.
Workshop 3 - Aimed at Adults and Families who may be concerned about Email or Telephone scams.
This Workshop has been created using all the current information provided by the police force's 'Operation Stirling'
- It aims to breakdown how people get caught by these fraudsters.
- Things to look out for, that may give them away.
- What to do if you think you may have been tricked.
To run the workshops successfully a maximum of 10 people at a time would be beneficial, and the timings can be flexible.
With the Teenagers, these can be run over 2 hours at the service providers. Currently LAD are running workshops for Axiom Housing at Paine’s Mill in St Neots, and for The Salvation Army at Kings Ripton Court in Huntingdon. As an added enticement for the young people we offer a selection of snacks/drinks/pizza etc. during the workshop.
When offering workshops for Adults a suitable centre easily accessed by whoever has booked the workshop will need to be discussed. For instance, we are currently working with three of the major housing associations Axiom, Luminus and Metropolitan, and we would look at running these in their training suites, again for a maximum number of ten people at a time over 3.5 hours. The timings would range from approx 10 am through to 1.30 pm and would include a working lunch, drinks etc., again as an enticement for attending. Timings need to fit with childcare/school hours and also allow easy access for travel to and from the venue.
Please get in touch if you would like to know more about our workshops.